The Danny Clifford Bursary is designed to provide assistance to USQ students who need a little help getting back or keeping on track with their studies. This bursary additionally recognises the hard work students have already put into their studies and encourages them to strive for success.
Each semester, the USQ Student Guild will award a select number of Danny Clifford Bursaries, which have a value of up to $1000 each to the selected USQ students.
The USQ Student Guild Danny Clifford Bursary was created to recognise the efforts and contributions made to the USQ Student Guild community by Danny Clifford. We have been providing Bursaries to USQ Student since 2016.
Danny joined the USQ Student Guild Board in 2009 and served as its Chair until he retired in 2015. During his tenure, Danny provided strong stewardship and maintained a positive, inclusive process, which enabled the USQ Student Guild to rejuvenate through a period of financial difficulty. Despite leaving the Board in 2015, he has continued to be a close friend of the USQ Student Guild and offers us support and advice.
Each Semester the USQ Student Guild will award a select number of bursaries to current USQ students. Each bursary will have a maximum value of $1000.
The bursary can assist with funding for, but is not restricted to:
- Setting up a study space (e.g. desk, chair etc.)
- Books and materials
- Internet set up and associated equipment
- Travelling to study on campus or residential schools
- Family support (e.g. babysitting, day care etc.)
- Purchasing programs required for your studies
- Assist with the costs of Residential School accommodation or travel
- Assist with the cost of Practical Placements accommodation or travel
To be eligible, students must:
- Be continuing their studies at USQ in Semester 2, 2020;
- Be enrolled in a minimum of one USQ subject in Semester 2, 2020;
- Have completed at least 1 semester at USQ, including Semester 1 2020;
- Provide or be willing to provide a copy of their unofficial academic transcript dated no earlier than 10th August 2020;
- Provide a copy of their current Resume;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions as stipulated.
Eligible applicants must also demonstrate:
- How this bursary would assist in their academic and personal lives;
- How they are involved within their community or sufficiently explain the reasons behind their lack of involvement;
- Their commitment towards academic achievement and success; and
- Their participation in extra-curricular activities.
Applications for the Danny Clifford Bursary will open Monday 13th July 2020; and will close on Friday 14th August 2020 at 8pm.
The next stage will see students who have been shortlisted contacted to attend an interview between the 26th and 28th of August. These interviews will occur via zoom.
Note this timeline is subject to change depending on application numbers.
Tegan Cross (2016 Recipient)
The Danny Clifford Bursary Allowed me to fund care for my children on a more regular basis, which during a tumultuous year involving a chronic medical condition meant I could spend full days at the University rather than having to juggle classes and medical appointments and rush home to be with my children. It allowed me to focus my studies, rather than on financial stress, and achieve my goal of increasing my GPA over two semesters.
David Pullen (2016 Recipient)
Since receiving the bursary I have returned from part-time studies to full-time studies and was able to purchase a Surface Pro 4 computer with music composition software. This purchase will enable me to advance my digital literacy for music teaching studies at USQ and on practicum. I would like to thank the Student Guild for their support.
The Terms and Conditions for the USQ Student Guild Bursaries are as follows:
- The USQ Student Guild reserves their right to alter the conditions of the bursary based on exceptional circumstances.
- The USQ Student Guild reserves the right not to award the bursary in any given year and reserves the right to alter the number of recipients in any given year at their sole and unfettered discretion.
- In the submission of an application for the USQ Student Guild Bursaries, you agree that you have read and accepted all the conditions contained within and that you have authority to submit such application.
- Upon acceptance of a USQ Student Guild Bursary, you hereby give the USQ Student Guild permission to use your details including name, program enrolment, photograph, video, and Bursary awarded on any media platform including both social media and print for promotional and archival purposes. Such platforms include the Student Guild’s website, social media channels, annual reports, print and electronic media. You also provide your expressed permission for the USQ Student Guild to provide these details to partner organisations or the media. If you do not wish for your details to be passed on to media or used for promotional purposes, you must notify the USQ Student Guild in writing.
- Upon acceptance of a Bursary, you agree to provide a testimony as to the assistance said bursary provided you within 14 days of the request of the USQ Student Guild.
- The USQ Student Guild agrees that the use of photographs, testimonies or videos shall only be used for official Student Guild Business. The recipients of the bursaries waive the right to inspect or approve any finished product which may be used in connection with the official business of the USQ Student Guild.
- You agree and acknowledge that it is your responsibility to provide all necessary information and documentation to support your application and understand that if your application does not have the required information and documentation that it may not be considered for the bursary.
- You understand that it is not the responsibility of the USQ Student Guild to make further enquiries or seek additional information from you with respect to this application.
- You agree that the USQ Student Guild Advocacy Office may after reviewing your application contact you to discuss with you further support or opportunities for you to obtain support with respect to your studies. Further you agree and acknowledge that this will result in the USQ Student Guild Advocacy Office obtaining your personal contact details and by submitting your application you agree to the sharing of such information.
- You confirm that you meet the required eligibility as listed on the USQ Student Guild Website.
- You agree that the information provided will be shared with staff involved in the selection process.
- You understand that the provision of false or misleading information is an offence under the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Commonwealth).
- You understand and agree that the USQ Student Guild is bound by the Information Privacy Principals contained in the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). However, information provided by you through this application process may be used to provide you with information and incentives from time to time. Your information may also be used to conduct research to identify and analyse ongoing needs of USQ Students.
- You confirm that your application is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and belief.